Sunday 30 March 2014

Day 1 of 100 days of happiness 

A chocolatey gift brought all the way back from Germany from my German housemate!


Living with people from other cultures has been one of the most eye-opening aspects of doing my year abroad, as you get a truly realistic peep into their respective country and culture just from the little every day occurrences. Last term, one sunny morning, my Spanish housemate watched me make a fried egg on toast in absolute, wide-eyed awe, and instantly asked me to make her one so that she could learn how to do it herself when I wasn't there. Similarly, my Italian housemate's idea of 'rustling something quick up for dinner' was hand rolling some gnocchi from scratch, putting my baked beans on toast to complete shame. Despite the language barriers too, its surprising how well we have come to know each other, having gradually come to cover every subject under the sun from politics to our childhoods to chicos and everything in between, continually comparing how things are done in each of our countries. Perhaps the hardest thing for my housemates to come to grips with has been my British sense of humor and constant sarcasm, which often leaves them confused and with a lasting impression that I am a bit of an oddball! 

No comments:

Post a Comment